Monday, January 3, 2011

Chocolate Syrup - Homemade Tightwad Gazette recipe

My kids loved chocolate milk...Okay, I confess, I loved chocolate milk, too...But even on sale the bottles of Hershey's chocolate syrup were expensive.  I grew up on Hershey's and frankly that's the only one that tasted good to me, so it's the only one I'd buy.  We loved it over ice cream, one of the kids would sneakily apply it to pancakes on occasion, we'd have chocolate milk and hot cocoa...and when it was gone it would be many weeks and sometimes months before we could purchase it again.  It just wasn't on our regular shopping list you see, because for us it was strictly a luxury item.  Funny how sometimes even when the money isn't so tight we'll keep certain items on that back list as 'luxury' isn't it?

I came across this recipe in Tightwad Gazette years ago.  To me, it's better than Hershey's syrup. I love that I know exactly what goes into the syrup, none of those odd, unpronounceable ingredients. I've had an old Hershey's syrup bottle for years now and once cooled, I pour this syrup into that bottle.  It costs less than half the price of a bottle of Hershey's to make up this recipe. 

Chocolate Syrup

1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix cocoa, water, sugar in a deep saucepan.  Stir to combine.  Heat over medium low heat, stirring occasionally until syrup comes to a rolling boil.  Lower heat and stir constantly.  Do not walk away as this will boil over.  Boil for 3 minutes until all sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla and salt and allow to cool unless putting in a sterilized glass jar (1 pint size).  Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment