Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rhonda's Grandpa's Bread

I'm going to put this down just as I did it.  Rhonda's page has a number of suggestions for substitutions and variations.  In fact, I suggest you read her blog period because it's loaded with lots of good ideas for using what you have at home to make all sorts of wonderful things!

2 cups warm water
1 package yeast
1 t salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
about 6 cups of flour

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.  Add salt, then pour into mixing bowl.  Add oil and most of the flour.  (If you are experienced with breadmaking then you'll know that all of the flour isn't always necessary.  Even though it was a very wet day, I needed only 5 1/2 cups flour.  I reserved the extra 1/2 cup).

 Mix well, then knead until you have a smooth dough. I let my mixer do all the work for me.  When the dough came together forming a ball and all the flour was incorporated, I stopped beating.

Let dough rise in an oiled bowl, covered with a clean kitchen towel, until at least double in size.

Punch down. Dump out onto a floured surface (using that reserved flour) and knead lightly. Shape into loaves and place in greased bread pans and cover.

Let rise again, until at least double. Remove cover.

Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes.

Rhonda's site with her photos and instructions:
http://ifyoudostuff.blogspot.com/search?q=grandpa%27s+bread

No comments:

Post a Comment