Monday, February 6, 2012

Penny's Super Easy Apple Cake


*Penny's Super Easy Apple Cake

I've looked and looked for an apple cake recipe I got from an old Family Circle Recipe Magazine in the early 1980's.  No luck.  Then I tried to find a Carrot Cake recipe similar to one in my 1980's copy of Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  No luck.  Finally, I decided to use my head and make up my own recipe.  This one turned out quite good and my family was well pleased.
2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cooking oil
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups grated apples
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Dump all ingredients in mixing bowl.  Beat on medium speed about 2-3 minutes.  Pour into greased and floured 9 X 13 pan.  Bake at 350F for about 35-40 minutes, until pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Frost with Caramel Frosting.

An easy caramel frosting is made of:

4 tbsps. melted buter
4 tbsps. packed brown sugar
2 - 4 tbsps milk
2 cups confectioners sugar

This mixture should be thin enough to spread so more milk may be added in one teaspoon increments.  On the other hand if this seems far too thin, add a little more confectioner's sugar.  Humidity will determine how thick or thin this comes out, so not precise measurements are necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment