Sunday, March 10, 2019

Vicki's Freezer Crescent Rolls

I was recently digging deep into dear Rhonda's archives at If You Do Stuff, Stuff Gets Done .   I'd been thinking of my pantry and my cooking of late and I'd determined I'd return to basic good foods for the most part and I know that Rhonda has a lovely collection of easy, inexpensive good recipes on her blog.  The recipe I'm about to share was given to her from another friend we know, Vicki.  I was a little unclear on some parts of the recipe and I'm going to share it as I made it up, rather than as it was written up.  I'm only doing this because having found it a success, it seems I might as well keep on with it as I made it, right?


Vicki's Freezer Crescent Rolls
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup dry powdered milk
1/2 cup instant potato flakes
1/2 cup butter, divided into 1/4 c measures, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp. yeast (I use a rapid rise bread machine yeast even though I have not got a bread machine)
2 eggs, room temperature
4-5 c flour

I started with the four cups of flour called for at first.  I put the dry ingredients in the bowl first, then added in the butter in dibs and dabs, then added in the water.  I found the dough a bit wet and added in another cup of flour.   Since our weather was quite dry and not humid, I did not feel I should add any more.  I did not go over the 5 cup  amount.  It remained a very soft dough.  I blended everything and then allowed my mixer to knead the dough for 8 full minutes.   I did not grease the deep mixer bowl I'd used to mix the dough in.  I covered with a  pastry cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.  The dough had swelled to the top of the bowl and was pushing the cover up.   I punched down the dough.

Melt rest of butter.  I lightly floured another pastry cloth and then divided the soft dough into three portions.  I rolled each portion into a rough 12 inch circle.   I could hear bubbles in the dough popping as I shaped it into a circle.  I flipped it periodically to try to keep the circle shape and to insure my rolling pin didn't lift up bits of dough.  Once the circle is formed, brush the round with melted butter.  Cut the circle into pie shaped wedges.  The original recipe says 12-18 wedges but I think mine were nearer 10-12 per round.   Roll from wide end to pointed end and place on a greased cookie sheet.   I needed two cookies sheets by the way.  You'll want to make sure you've got room in your freezer for them!   Repeat with the other two thirds of the dough.   Freeze the rolls until firm, then remove from cookie sheets and place in a zippered bag.

When you want rolls, remove as many as you'd like, and place them on a greased cookie sheet.  Let thaw and rise for 3 or 4 hours (depends on heat in your kitchen really, but if you're baked bread you'll know when they are double in size).   Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.

As I said these were so very good and tasty at first baking and just as good reheated.  I was shocked at how light and lovely they turned out.  I'm going to make these again when I've used this lot of rolls up.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I haven’t baked these in awhile but they are so good. I’m glad you liked them and I’m sure Vicki would be pleased to know it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont use dry milk. Can I use 2 cups of regular?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dora I would think you could substitute warm milk for a portion of the water called for.

    Rhonda, they were delicious. In fact, I'm ready to make them again...Just as soon as I have room in my freezer to put the pans.

    ReplyDelete