Monday, September 26, 2022

Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)

 

Arroz Con Pollo

I've always referred to this as Spanish Chicken and Rice.  I can't recall where I found the recipe but I'm pretty sure Better Homes & Gardens, either the cookbook or magazine.

My family loved it the first time I made it.  I've now been making it for 25 years now.  I've never tried to make this less expensive.  I always felt it was a good economical meal to begin with because it started with bone in chicken.  I could buy a whole cut chicken for less than $1 a pound back in the day and now I can still purchase a whole one for $1.49/pound which is a fair price.  

I have occasionally used boneless skinless chicken pieces but the bone in pieces is really the best for the dish in my opinion.

I like to use the yellow rice packets you buy at the store.  I've tried several different brands: Zatarain's, Vigo, Mahatma and the one from Aldi.  They are all pretty much the same, so buy what's cheapest/most convenient for you.

The rest of the ingredients are things I typically have on hand in my pantry: onions, pimentos (you can sub in fresh red pepper and a splash of vinegar), green peas, olives or capers.  Besides salt and pepper that's pretty much it.

Arroz con Pollo

2.5 pounds bone in chicken pieces

salt and pepper

smoked paprika (optional)

1 medium onion, diced

5-ounce packet yellow rice mix

Water called for on packet (I like to add a teaspoon of dry chicken bouillon powder)

2-ounce jar of red diced pimento

2-ounces sliced pimento stuffed olives OR capers (about 2 tbsps)

8-ounces frozen green peas (or drained canned peas)

Salt and pepper chicken.  Brown in oil in large frying pan.  Turn to brown other side.  Remove from pan and set aside.  

Add fat to the pan if necessary.  Add chopped onion and cook until translucent.  

Add packet of rice mix and water called for on package.  Here's where I also add in the chicken bouillon powder and stir all well.  Place chicken pieces in rice and water mix.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and cover with a lid.  Cook for amount of time package says on rice.  Mixture may be a little saucy.  Check internal temperature on chicken to insure it's fully cooked.  

Add pimentos, olives or capers and green peas.  Cover and let residual heat warm the last additions through.  

This is delicious on day one and even better as leftovers.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I like recipes that I already have all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete