Monday, January 9, 2023

Kidney Bean Salad

 



I found this cookbook a few years ago in a thrift store.  The price was low and the words in the title appealed to me for the most obvious reasons.  I love good food and I like cooking budget food.  You can still find this cookbook online.  The publication date is 1971. 

This particular recipe sounded odd, but I was making a complete menu right from the pages of the book.  I'm happy to say that this salad tasted really good!  Yes, these are unusual ingredients to combine to make a salad but there you are.


Kidney Bean Bowl

1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained (I rinsed, too)
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup diced, unpeeled apple
1/3 cup diced process American Cheese
(I used cheddar from Aldi)
Lettuce

Combine beans, celery, onions, salt, pepper, mayonnaise.  Cover and chill.  Stir in apple and cheese before serving.  Serve in lettuce lined bowls.   Serves 8. 




2 comments:

  1. That is definitely an unusual recipe by today’s standards. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’m also surprised that it says it makes eight servings. Did you think it made eight servings? We do everything so big these days

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always made this without the apple, but with a boiled egg.

    ReplyDelete