Friday, May 5, 2023

Cheesy Salsa Chicken and Rice

 

This was one of those desperation dinners.  I waited too late in the day to allow for a long thawing of meat.  The weather had changed from a previous forecast and was quite cool, rather than warm.  I had no clue what I might make but what was on the menu didn't appeal in the least.  

Out of desperation something was born that my family raved over.  I thought I'd share that with you all here.

This is a variation on Chicken and Rice but with a fresh twist that made it most welcome on the dinner table.

Cheesy Chicken and Rice

Chicken for four people (I used boneless skinless thighs, but any boneless chicken would work well)

Tajin seasoning 

1 cup salsa

1 cup shredded cheddar (what I had on hand.  I used a sharp cheddar.  I think Pepper Jack would have been equally delicious)

Prepared Mexican rice (from scratch or a packet.  Mine had been frozen from a previous meal and was thawed.)

I baked the chicken, covered, at 350F until I could easily pull the pieces apart and separate.  I drained off the liquids that accumulated in the bottom of the pan then laid the chicken back out on the pan and seasoned liberally with the Tajin seasoning.  I also added a bit of salt.  I baked about 20 minutes, turned it and then seasoned again on that side.  At about the 35-minute mark, I removed chicken from the pan.  

I spread the rice on the bottom of the pan.  Lay the chicken pieces on top of the rice base.  Then spread the salsa evenly over each piece of chicken and then with cheese.  Bake at 350 for another 10-15 minutes until everything is hot, melted and bubbly.  

We served this with a simple salad and Mexican Cornbread.  Tortillas would also make a great side and you could add beans if you needed to stretch the meal further.  

No comments:

Post a Comment