Monday, July 17, 2023

Ham and Broccoli Pie

 


Karla, friend and reader, went online to hunt for this recipe.  I do believe it's the same as the one I was reminiscing about, though I don't think my former recipe called for fresh broccoli.  I'm pretty sure it called for frozen.   I recall it being very good.  Will my 60 something self like it as well as my 20 something self?  We'll see!

I would love to try this sometime substituting chicken for the ham.  I think the flavors would work just as well.

HAM AND BROCCOLI PIE 
1 bunch fresh broccoli
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp. butter, melted
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 c. milk
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 c. chopped cooked ham
1 recipe pie pastry

Separate broccoli into flowerets. Place in large saucepan with 1/2 inch boiling water. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes; drain. Saute celery and onion in butter in skillet for 3 minutes.

Combine cornstarch, mustard, marjoram, lemon rind and pepper in medium saucepan; stir in milk gradually. Add celery and onion mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, broccoli and ham.

Pour into 2 quart casserole. Roll out pastry; cut into strips. Arrange lattice-fashion over top; flute edge. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield 4-6 servings.


Just an afterthought...I wonder if this would be just as good with a cheese sauce instead of the lemon sauce?  I will say the lemon sauce is so light that it is perfect for a summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment