Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Sour Dough Bread

Kelly's Sourdough Starter and Bread



Starter:

3/4 cup sugar

3 tbsps. instant potatoes

1 cup warm water



Take a quart jar with a metal lid and punch holes in the lid so the
starter can breathe. Mix all the above ingredients in the jar,
stirring gently and let sit on counter 8-12 hours. Then store in
refrigerator. In 3-5 days add the above ingredients to the jar
again. Do not make bread from the starter until you've fed it three
times.



After you've fed it three times you may make bread. If for some
reason you don't want to make bread then discard one cup of starter
before feeding. About every fourth time of bread making you'll find
you need to toss (or give away) a cup of starter or make a double
batch of bread.



Sourdough bread



6 cups Pillsbury Bread flour

1/4 cup sugar (I've decreased to 3 tbsps and am experimenting with
further reductions)

1 tbsp salt

1 cup sourdough starter

1/2 cup corn oil

1 1/2 cups warm water



Mix all ingredients in large bowl (I use my Kitchenaid mixer with the
dough hook attachment). Pat top of dough with oil, cover with waxed
paper or plastic wrap very lightly. (Kelly recommends spraying your
paper with nonstick spray. I use corn oil that I rub on with my
hands). Let dough rise for 8-12 hours. Punch down then knead
lightly on floured surface, about 12-15 times. Divide into 3 parts
and place in three well greased loaf pans. Brush tops of loaves with
oil, again cover with lightly with waxed paper or plastic wrap that
has been sprayed or brushed with corn oil. Lightly drape with two
dishtowels. Let rise for 8-12 hours. Remove coverings and place in
350F oven for 30 minutes.



I've just read Kelly's note to put bread on lowest shelf. I've
always baked mine on the top shelf and the bread has turned out
perfectly every single time. I plan to do further experiments with
the ingredients. I'm longing to try it with half whole wheat bread
flour, using olive oil for the corn oil, etc. I'll let you know when
I do try my experiments and what the results are. The recipe is very
specific as well about brands and such, but I'm going to try other
bread flours to see if the results work out as well. I can always go
right back to tried and true if it fails.



One thing I've discovered: 5 pounds of bread flour will make two
batches of bread. In my area, Pillsbury bread flour costs about
$2.59. I'll get six loaves and have two cups of flour leftover for
that cost. I've been buying bread for about $2.79-$4 per loaf,
depending on if I bought mass produced or artisan whole grain
breads. The savings to me has been well worth the small amount of
effort this bread requires.



This bread is excellent for eating fresh with butter, but it makes
awesome French toast. I find freezing it makes it much easier to
slice. And I've kept it up to two weeks in the freezer with no loss
of flavor. The biggest problem for me seems to be to get a piece
before it's all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment