Monday, July 19, 2021

Sarah's Peach Festival Cobbler And Terri's Easy Peach Cobbler

 Peach Festival cobbler

1/2 cup butter
2 cups sliced peeled peaches
1 1/4 cups sugar {I use less if peaches are real sweet}
1cup presifted flour
2 tea baking powder
1/2 tea salt ..or less
1/2 tea nutmeg
1 cup milk
1/2 tea vanilla Hubby loves this flour filling and at times I add a bit more of it to the same recipe...I also sub some of the milk for peach juice.
Do it in the same fashion as your recipe with the exception that the peaches go in over the melted butter and the flour mix goes over before baking. fits into 1 1/2 qt casserole. bakes 350 for 30 min till golden. I found this in my first cookbook. America Cooks from the Federation of Women's Clubs 1967. 
(from reader Sarah)

That recipe is Sarah's but I'm going to include my own right here below it.


Terri's Easy Peach Cobbler

1 stick of butter (I often do half a stick often because a whole stick is super rich), 
1 cup of milk, 
1 cup of sugar  
1 cup of flour (if using all purpose add 1 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt)    

Melt the butter in a 7 x 11 baking dish or a 2 quart casserole in a 375F oven.   In the meantime put milk, sugar, flour together in a bowl. I use all purpose flour so I add 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Self-rising flour works just great in this, too.   Don't mix.  Just set aside.  Now peel and slice 2-3 cups peaches. I add extra peaches.  Older recipes actually call for 1 cup of fruit which I find isn't near enough.  And by the way this cobbler topping is excellent over apples/applesauce, oranges, berries...They all taste yummy!

Pour the melted butter into the flour mixture.  Mix quickly with a whisk, just until it's all mixed and not lumpy.  You can, if you prefer, do as my late father in law used to do and blitz it in the blender.  Pour into the casserole and put peaches into batter.  Bake until golden brown and puffy.  I haven't made one in a 7x 11 pan in a long time so I can't tell you how long to cook that.  I use the 2 quart casserole usually.  In a casserole, it takes about 1 hour to bake. It will go quicker in the 7 x 11 pan since it's more shallow.

You can double the recipe and put into a 13 X 9 pan and it too will take about an hour to cook through.  This is how we made it most often when I was growing up.  I like that the recipe can be doubled or halved, and even quartered, easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment