Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Spaghetti a la Diablo

Way back when I was a newly married first-time bride, a recession came along, and I lost my job.  We had to cut our grocery budget, which had never been generous, close and hard.  I found this recipe in my favorite old cookbook , which was published in 1920... I tried it, namely because it called for 1/2 cup of meat and it would serve the two of us at least 3 meals.  We loved it.

I made it at least twice a month even after we were able to move our grocery budget a little higher.  If you're using fresh mushrooms,  they have such a nice meaty texture in this dish, but I often had to use canned mushrooms.  I've always found this dish so tasty and satisfying that we honestly never felt the need to increase the meat.  

In later years, with five kids at home to feed, we doubled the spaghetti but didn't quite double the meat. Even feeding seven no one left the table hungry.  

I'm still making this dish.  Typically, I make it strictly by the recipe, but when I had family living with us and we hit a budget crunch time, I found that we could add in 1 small diced zucchini to stretch it still further.  Zucchini is such a mild vegetable that it only added a pleasing bit of color without affecting the flavor in the least.

I was a little taken aback by the sugar in this recipe.   I find it's really necessary if you're using a very acidic sharp tasting tomato, but even if you are using canned tomatoes, which I often do, you'll like the balance of the sweet with the heat of the cayenne pepper in this dish.

Spaghetti a la Diablo


1/2 cup (4 ounces) cooked chicken
1 cup mushrooms (I used a drained can last time figuring when the recipe was written fresh might not  have been available but I do like to use fresh mushrooms too if I have them on hand)
2.5 cups diced tomatoes (I often use just 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes rather than open 2 cans)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 small onion, finely diced
8 ounces cooked spaghetti
2 ounces (1/4 cup) shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar, since it is most commonly on hand in my kitchen)

In a little oil, cook onion, mushrooms (if using fresh) and garlic until tender.  Add tomatoes and chicken, all seasonings and then toss with cooked spaghetti.  Place in a casserole dish and top with the shredded cheese.  Bake until hot through and cheese melted.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment