Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Trisha Yearwood's Mama's Sweet and Saltines

 This recipe was from  a Country Living feature on Trisha Yearwood's cookbook, Mama's Sweet and Saltines.  I substituted the last sheets of matzah from a package we opened during Feast of Unleavened Bread and didn't finish.  These are so good.  They taste like a Skor candy bar.

Ahhhh, no, the pan is NOT full, we'd attacked it pretty shortly after the chocolate chips were melted, lol.

Mama's Sweet and Saltines

40 saltine crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) butter*
1 cup light brown sugar
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/3 cups)

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large jellyroll pan with aluminum foil and the saltine crackers.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the eat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly.** Put the jellyroll pan into the oven and watch closely.  Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly. Remove from oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife.  Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces. Store into an airtight container.

*note: recipe noted that you can use 1 stick of butter instead of two if you prefer a harder praline. 
**I opted to use 1 stick of butter.  I couldn't spread the mixture evenly, but I drizzled it as evenly as I could.  It did spread out to cover the cookies while it was in the oven.  I didn't put my cookies in the freezer.  I put them in the refrigerator.  I had no problems with the mixture sticking to the foil at all.  I found it easy to lift the foil and pull the corner back.

These are GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment