Monday, July 18, 2022

Bulloch House Broccoli Strata

John and I love to visit the Bulloch House restaurant in Warm Springs, Georgia.  We began going there years ago when it was actually set up in an old lovely home.  In 2015 that house burned down, much to my sorrow.  Then I heard that the restaurant had decided to set up business in an old store front downtown.  We go there four or five times a year.

Really, it's just a country buffet with about the same menu as always.

One dish I've had only once, and I was wowed by it.  I could tell it had broccoli, but I was puzzled about the other ingredients. When I asked for the recipe, I was given a list of ingredients.  Not quantities, just the ingredients.  The list consisted of croutons, broccoli blue cheese dressing, milk and eggs.   I searched in vain for years for a recipe with similar ingredients, but I was hindered by not knowing the name of the dish.  Then one day it occurred to me that the ingredients were basically a strata recipe.  I looked up broccoli strata and finally managed to replicate it here at home.

In the restaurant, the dish was served as a side dish, but honestly it could easily be a main entree. It's got plenty of protein and flavor and would be just lovely with a side salad.

This is my recipe based upon my knowledge of the original dish contents and scaled down from restaurant size to a smaller size.  You can double easily and make a 9 x 13 pan instead of an 8 x 8 pan.

Broccoli Blue Cheese Strata

4-5 slices bread 

4 eggs 

2 cups milk 

1/4 cup melted butter

1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets and stems

1/2 cup prepared blue cheese salad dressing

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

salt and pepper

Cut bread into cubes and toasted at 350F for about 9-10 minutes.  Watch carefully and be sure to stir gently.  Cool slightly

Grease an 8 x 8 pan.  

Mix eggs, milk, butter, grated cheese, dressing and salt and pepper.  I use standard measures of about 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper.   Add croutons and broccoli.  Mix well and pour into the prepared pan.  

At this stage you can cover and put in fridge overnight.  I prefer to let it sit on the counter about a half hour or so.  Put into 350F oven and bake 35-45 minutes.  Should be puffy, golden and set.


No comments:

Post a Comment