Monday, July 11, 2022

Creamy Orange Salad

 Creamy Orange Salad


I think I found this recipe in one of the 1950's vintage magazines, likely a Woman's Day issue, but honestly am not sure at the moment.   However, it was really good.  It was a firmer gelatin dish; no doubt would be perfect in a mold if you happen to have any of those on hand.  I wonder why I never think to pick them up in the thrift stores...Surely, I could also bake cake in them?  There's a thought!  I'll have to check into that.  I'm all about multipurpose items for the kitchen.

I made the recipe in a bowl and served it as a dessert, since it's sweet enough...The serving suggestion was to serve on lettuce surrounded by chilled orange wedges which likely would be very good as well.

Creamy Orange Salad

1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened 
1/4 cup orange juice*
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange zest*
1 3-ounce package orange gelatin
1 cup hot water

I mixed my gelatin with the boiling water first.  I added in the lemon and orange juices and the orange zest then left that to sit for a few moments and cool a bit more while I prepared the cream cheese.  I beat the cream cheese with a mixer until smooth and light and then added the gelatin mixture slowly, a bit at a time.  At one stage it just looks like a curdled mess but keep beating it.   When it's a creamy looking mixture, pour into a mold or bowl and let sit in fridge until firm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment