Monday, July 25, 2016

Black Eyed Susans


Tried and True Thursday

vintagecook
Black-Eyed Susans
I didn't get to spend a lot of time with my dad's mom, whom we called "Grandmama".  I have very few memories of her, but one stands out vividly to me.  We're standing next to a concrete brick retaining wall which was probably 3-4 feet high and the day is sunny and bright.  I am watching Grandmama tend to her flowers on top of that retaining wall. They are beautiful, sunshine yellow with velvety soft black centers.  "Tell me their name," I beg her.  "Black-eyed Susans, " she replied.  I loved that they were named Susan, one of my favorite names among all.
When I came across this recipe first, it was in a Southern Living Eating Light cookbook.  Nearly every one has had these easy cookies in some form.  But in my Atkins days these were mainstays (made with Spelnda) when we had a sweet tooth.  These cookies are super easy, take few ingredients and make a pretty presentation on a platter for a tea party.
Black-Eyed Susans
2 cups peanut butter (1 15 ounce jar)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips or 2 - 2 1/2 dozen Hershey kisses
Mix peanut butter, sugar, and eggs.  Chill.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Roll dough into 2 - 2 1/2 dozen balls and place on foil lined cookie sheet.  Gently depress thumb into center of cookie dough ball.  Place 3 chocolate chips in depression (5 if especially large) or one unwrapped Hershey kiss.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment