Sunday, July 10, 2016

Guacamole

Tried and True Thursday

vintagecook

Guacamole
When I was growing up the Avocado was a pretty much exotic fruit.  We might see an occasional one at the bigger chain grocery stores, but seldom.  Things have changed dramatically.  Now even the tiny local grocery stores carry avocados (though not the one in my hometown). 

My first experience with avocado came in my early twenties.  My neighbor and friend was from California, Riverside to be exact, and she knew all about wonderful things like Hispanic cooking, avocados and wine, all exotic stuff to this rurally raised Southern gal.  I kid you not, the first macaroni salad I ever ate in my life was served at this woman's table, complete with the equally exotic black olives as garnish! lol   My California born friend was responsible for broadening my food horizons. 

I love avocado now.  I like it on burgers, in salads, and made into guacamole.  There are all sorts of recipes out there for guacamole.  It's kind of like eating Brunswick Stew or Barbeque or Clam Chowder...every region has it's particular version.  I can't recall just where I got my recipe from, but it is fairly straightforward, it tastes wonderfully fresh and when I do make it I fight to get a tablespoonful before it's all gone.  While one might traditionally eat guacamole with tortilla chips, it's wonderful spread on a burger, dolloped in the midst of a green salad and topped with grilled chicken, or even eaten with crackers.

Guacamole
2 ripe avocados (about 1 cup flesh total)
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 small jalapeno, seeded
2 green onions, whites and green tops
salt to taste

Cut avocados in half, remove pit and scoop out flesh.  Mash with a fork.  Add seasonings and stir well.  Serve immediately.  If you plan to keep in fridge for a few hours, put one of the avocado pits in the bowl with the guacamole and cover tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment