Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Blueberry Coffeecake

Blueberry Coffeecake

I wanted to make muffins one morning and set right to work before 7am.  But I'd forgotten an important fact: I need a new muffin tin.  I have only one six cup muffin tin and I didn't want to spend the morning baking muffins in batches.  So I greased a round cake pan, poured in the remaining batter and added frozen blueberries to it.  Then I made up a quick batch of streusel topping and crumbled it across the top.  I baked the coffee cake right alongside the muffins. 
I can tell you the muffins were absolutely delicious, and curiosity demanded I sample a tiny piece of the coffeecake as well.  I'll share my 'made up' recipe with you.
Penny's Blueberry Muffin Coffeecake
1/3 cup bran flakes, crushed
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup oatmeal
1 cup unbleached self-rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar
1 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
1 egg
1 1/3 cups milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
Mix all ingredients until just moistened.  Allow to stand for five minutes.  The buckwheat flour will slightly thicken the batter during that rest period.  Line a six cup muffin tin and fill the liners with batter.  Set aside.  Grease a 9 inch round cake tin with shortening.  Pour in remaining batter.  Sprinkle with streusel topping.   Bake muffins and coffee cake at 400F for 25 minutes or until cake springs bake when touched in center.
Streusel Topping
1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar(not packed)
1/3 cup flour
3 tbsps butter
Cut butter into sugar and flour until crumbly in texture.  Crumble across the top of the coffee cake (and muffins too if you'd like) being careful to not let streusel touch sides of cake tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment