Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

I use a variation of the Breakfast Casserole that is really a savory bread pudding.  Typically, I eyeball measurements and so you'll have to bear with me as I write out the recipe.  Years ago I decreased the amount of sausage from 1 pound to 1/4 pound because our budget restrictions were severe.  Now I tend to use 1/2 pound of sausage because I found I actually liked the casserole better with the decreased sausage.   If money is tight or I need to use up mushrooms, I'll add diced cooked mushrooms as a substitute for part of the sausage meat.  Mushrooms are not a protein food, but they do take on the flavor of the foods they are cooked with.  So if you brown diced mushrooms with sausage the mushrooms will taste like the sausage.  Fools my family every time,lol!
1/2 pound browned bulk pork sausage
1 onion, diced finely (about 1/2 cup), cooked with sausage
4 cups bread cubes (I save end pieces in the freezer to use to make this casserole and bread crumbs)
4 eggs, beaten
3 cups milk
8 ozs. grated cheddar cheese, reserve 2 ounces to sprinkle over the top just before serving
1 tsp. prepared mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Combine eggs, milk, seasonings.  Toss bread cubes with sausage, onions, and grated cheese.  Pour milk mixture over the bread cube mixture and let sit overnight in refrigerator (of if serving for supper, I'll prepare in early morning and let sit in fridge until I'm ready to cook it).
Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes, or until casserole looks puffy and golden brown.  Sprinkle remaining cheddar over top to melt.



No comments:

Post a Comment