Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ham and Cheese Sliders

Ham and Cheese Sliders A few years ago I joined a yahoo group run by Mrs. Catherine. The group was for homemakers who wanted to approach their home in a Christian and simpler way. It was an awesome group, full of inspiring women, some of whom worked outside the home, some who homeschooled, some who were empty nesters. All brought something to the table. She and her husband had begun publishing a print magazine for homemakers. It was a beautifully compiled magazine, printed on good quality, sturdy paper that will last for generations to come. I was privileged to be asked to write for the magazine while it was in publication. The group and the magazine are now defunct, but I took away a great deal from my time with that wonderful group of ladies. And one of the things I took was a recipe from a girl named Margie.
I can't get Margie's full name, because I don't think I ever knew it. I just knew her as Margie. She shared her recipe for a marinated ham sandwich on the group. I jotted the recipe down on a piece of scratch paper and then lost it. But I remembered enough of the ingredients to pretty much replicate her recipe.
It was an instant hit with my family and we periodically make up batches of these delicious sandwiches and freeze them. In school year, Kay will eat one of these as an afternoon snack. It's just the right amount of carb/protein to hold her hunger at bay until dinner time.
I've changed the name to Sliders because these sandwiches use those same smaller bun size dinner rolls. There have been a few changes to the original recipe, but the flavor is terrific all the same.
Ham and Cheese Sliders 1 24ct packet bun sized dinner rolls
24 slices ham
24 slices Swiss cheese (I have bought block Swiss and grated it or sliced it myself. It costs much less that way
Marinade:
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup mustard (I like to use a whole grain mustard best, but cheap old yellow tastes good too)
1 tbsp poppy seed
1/4 cup finely minced onion
Split buns. Melt butter and mix remaining spices and seasonings in pan. Cook until mixture bubbles and onion is just tender. Spread on both sides of buns. Add cheese and ham to sandwich buns, then wrap individually in foil and freeze for later use or bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.
**The marinade is also good on roast beef sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs. Spread on buns and toast lightly, then add meat.
11-29-10  Now that we no longer eat ham I've found that sliced turkey works just as well in these tasty sandwiches.  They were a huge hit with a group of folks at synagogue one night.  I'd made two dozen of them and in about three minutes they were all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment