Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Stovetop Cookies



Stovetop Cookies

This cookie has been a favorite of mine and Chance's since childhood.  It was always considered a treat and always appeared at Christmas.  This past week I found 1 pound boxes of oatmeal for $.50 each.  And since our cookies seemed to disappear so rapidly with guests and gift boxes, I thought I'd make a batch for us to enjoy ourselves.
I have prepared this recipe with half Splenda/half sugar with some success.  A Weight Watchers version cut the sugar to just 1/4 cup and  halved the rest of the ingredients.  I've tried both versions but prefer the traditional cookie over them all.   I have also prepared the recipe using old fashioned oats.  The texture is chewier and different.  Again, I prefer the original recipe as written.
Stovetop Cookies
stove top cookies 001

stove top cookies 002

stove top cookies 005

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter
4 tbsp.  cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick oats
Lay parchment or waxed paper sheets on counter.  Mix first six ingredients and bring to boil over medium low heat. Time once the mixture begins to bubble.  Boil, stirring frequently, for at least 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add oatmeal.  Stir together quickly.  Drop mixture by the teaspoonful onto the paper.  Allow to cool and set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment