Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Buckeye Bars

BUCKEYE BARS

I confess Katie and I didn't care for these when we first made them.  Two days later however, the flavors were well developed and absolutely delicious.  Perhaps this is best qualified as a make ahead recipe.

1 box chocolate cake mix
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Mixture will be dry and crumbly.  It's supposed to look like that.  Set aside 1 cup and pat the rest into a greased 9X 13 pan.
Now mix:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 peanut butter
Mix until well blended.  The peanut butter will thicken the condensed milk a good bit.  My recipe called for pouring the mixture onto the crumb layer in the pan, then spreading.  I found the mixture too stiff to spread.  I'd suggest dolloping on teaspoonfuls of the stuff all over the crumb layer.   And I'd suggest the addition of
1 cup mini chocolate chips
sprinkled over top of the peanut butter layer.  Then sprinkle the reserved cup of crumb mixture over the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool in pan, then cut into bars.  Put on a plate and cover loosely.  Do not put in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment