Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pumpkin Donut Muffins

Pumpkin Donut Muffins

The above photo should be properly credited to the website where I found this awesome recipe:  http://wholesomemommy.com/pumpkin-donut-muffins/

Pumpkin Donut Muffins

10 Tbsp butter, room temp
3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/3 cup butter milk (or 1/3 cup milk + tsp lemon juice)
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
For the sugar coating:
1 c. granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray OR butter and flour pans.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice in one bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin and butter milk with electric mixer. In a third bowl whip brown sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With the mixer on low begin to add in flour and pumpkin mixtures alternating. Add the flour in three additions and the pumpkin in two additions. Beat to combine.
Spoon batter into mini muffin pans and bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean (about 15 minutes). Allow muffins to cool slightly. Combine sugar and cinnamon for coating. Brush each muffin with melted butter and then toss in cinnamon sugar mixture. ( I combined my cinnamon and sugar in a gallon sized resealable bag so that I could toss in a few muffins and shake the coating onto them).  Place muffins on wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

** my notes:  I changed only a few things.  I made just 1/2 recipe.  I didn't have buttermilk or lemon so I used 2 tbsps yogurt and 3 tbsps milk (for the half amount) and I added a good splosh of vanilla because vanilla is just good in so many things!  I made mine in regular muffin tins, not mini tins, and I guess I baked them about 25-30 minutes, checking with a skewer for doneness.  I followed her advice and only sugar coated the ones I ate for breakfast but oh good heavens!  This is a good recipe!
And by all means go check out the website.  She has a lot of recipes and reviews and such that are good reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment