Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Braised Short Ribs of Beef



Braised Short Ribs of Beef
2 1/2 to 3 pounds of lean beef short ribs
2 whole onions diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 large carrots diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 can of chicken or beef broth
1/2 cup dry red wine(I substitute a 1/2 cup of water and 2 tbsp of
red wine vinegar)

Brown the short ribs in a dutch oven, in hot oil, on all sides.  Remove and set aside. Add vegetables and allow onions to cook to translucent stage, about 10 minutes.  Add seasonings and liquids and
deglaze pan. Add ribs and cherries. Braise for 2 1/2 hours in oven at 350F, or cook in crockpot for 6 hours on low heat.

Serve with chunky smashed potatoes, a hearty bread and green salad.  Honesty time:  Katie and I loved this dish on a bitter cold day.  I'd serve the ribs and broth over a bowl of mashed potatoes and skip the salad and bread.  We both still serve it the same all these years later.  She made this in February this year for my birthday and served it just the same. 

Short ribs can be quite pricey these days. I watch for markdowns on them, then buy at clearance prices.  I think a good cheap chuck roast would taste as well as the short ribs, but buy a bone-in cut if you can.  Beef shanks or oxtail are also a good choice, substitutes I have used when I found them on sale and short ribs were too dear.

Another substitute I make at times, is to use dried cranberries, especially when dried cherries are hard to find at Aldi.

No comments:

Post a Comment